Skip to main content

#14 Caring for Plants (Hey-young Pyun, 2014)

 Rating: 8.5/10

    Nowadays, relationships between people has become so complex that individuals ought to seek for a way of being useful in order to develop stable friendship. Even family members who are not blood related hesitate to fully trust each other when it comes to financial issues. Ohgi, in this short story, is an orphan who loses physical and financial ability due to the car accident. The moment Ohgi opens his eyes after the accident, he was without all the reputation he has established his entire life, but his helpless chunk of body. Everything Oghi had believed was his no longer was, and all he had left was his useless, tattered body and the mattress it lay on. In other words, his life went non-existent after he lost the ‘useful’ abilities. 

    This way, I felt shivers rushing down my spine, thinking of the potentially superfluous friendships I may have. It was also depressing acknowledging that the majority of my friens will turn away from me if I went through such an accident and lost all my social status and physical abilities. It was more confusing to judge this situation white and black since I could relate with both Oghi and mother-in-law. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#4 Gooseberries

  Gooseberries, By Anton Chekhov(1898) Rating: 7.9/10 As an animal with instinct, consisting of genes that seek to convey the most immaculate components to the next generation, mankind ought to pursue Happiness. While it is erroneous to violate moral standards, man should be allowed to attain the opportunity of seizing Happiness under the ethical codes. With Happiness as a source of motivation, they survive another day in the world of disharmony. Whether or not I should buy a new laptop to replace my old, malfunctioning laptop purely depends on the amount of Happiness I can acquire out of it. As long as I'm affordable, there is no reason for me to get mad over the laptop that freezes every 10 seconds and experience the pain of those who are unaffordable. It does no good to anyone unless the money is donated to those in need. This story simply made me feel thankful for how capable I am of feeling Happiness. Alyohin lives such an ascetic and moral life, yet he seems unhappy with self

#22 My Wonderful Description of Flowers (Danielle Dutton)

 Rating: 6/10     Danielle Dutton's short story reminded me of " Cat Person" by Kristen Roupenian. In "Cat Person," a male character representing toxic masculinity develops an intimate relationship with an underage college student. When the girl starts rejecting him, he shows signs of obsession and eventually calls the girl a 'whore’. Similarly, in Danielle Dutton's story, a taste of feminism is foreshadowed by introducing a man who visits random houses and attempts to assault women. When the protagonist asserts that she doesn't recognize an unknown man who visited her home, the man gradually becomes impatient and turns out to be hostile. The two stories seemed similar in how women were victimized by male manipulations. (Although the severity of male manipulations differs at each level.)     Apart from Danielle Dutton's method of development   used in the story, this could have been more favorable for me. Although the story had a clear developmen